P&G’s operations in Mexico started in 1948 with the acquisition of an oil factory located in Calzada de Guadalupe number 171. The factory worked on grinding coconut pith to sell to other manufacturers and sesame seeds that were later used to produce cooking oil under the name of “Canario,” becoming the largest processing company of coconut pith in Mexico in 1950. That same year, the company began importing the synthetic detergent Ace from Canada and Cuba, using the Guadalupe plant to package it. The business of importing detergent gave positive results, which led to the beginning of local production.
In 1951, the production of sesame oil was stopped due to the frozen prices installed by the Mexican government and the construction of the first industrial plant of Procter & Gamble in Mexico began: Vallejo, where detergents Ariel, Ace, and Downy are produced to this day.
During the period between 1953 and 1956, Procter & Gamble Mexico proved its enormous potential with the introduction of new products such as Lavasol, Tide, Pilon, Camay and Star. The company also began building a plant to produce toothpaste.
The company’s growth led to the decision to build corporate offices for Mexico, located in the outskirts of the Vistahermosa residential area in Cuajimalpa, which opened their doors on February 5, 1981.
In terms of publicity, P&G was one of the first companies to announce its products through radio and TV in soap operas (telenovelas in Mexico). The name soap opera was inspired by Ivory soap, as it was one of the first products to be mentioned during TV programs.
During the last 20 years, P&G Mexico has opened 4 plants in the country (Milenio, Mariscala, Alce Blanco and Tepeji) and one distribution Center (San Martín Center), and it continues operations in acquired plants in Naucalpan and Vallejo.